Consultation with Children and Young People with SEND
Teachers/SENCO and Support Staff will work with children and young people to identify the support needed to meet agreed outcomes. The provision is planned and interventions are allocated to individual needs. The children take an active role with setting their outcomes and discussing them with the class teacher/SENCO. The children have regular meetings with staff to discuss their progress and support. Frosterley Primary School have a School Council who work with staff and represent the views of their peers.
Older children are involved in the Playleaders scheme which develops young leaders skills and gives the opportunity to feedback to pupils and staff. The school has introduced Peer Assisted Learning allowing pupils to work with and support each other in a range of ways with the support of our teaching assistants.
Consultation with parents and carers of children and young people with SEND
We are committed to working with parents and carers to identify their child’s needs and support. Parents and carers will be involved throughout the process.
There is a range of ways this can be done, for example:
- Termly parents/ carers evenings;
- Ongoing discussions with a class teacher and/or SENCO;
- An ‘open-door’ policy, where parents and carers are welcome to come into school to discuss any concerns they may have;
- Thorough regular reviews of their child’s SEN Support Plan/ EHC Plan.
- Parents are asked to complete a survey in the autumn term and have opportunities to give feedback and make suggestions.